Friday, November 26, 2010

Christmas Carol






In high school I was the girl that was in every organization, a regular social butterfly. I was in everything from Crime stoppers to student council, one activity I was big in was Drama club (Treasurer 99-00) My senior year we did a joint production with the Choir of A Christmas Carol, now usually I was a “behind the scenes kind or girl, my junior year I did costumes and sound, but this year I had a part. A real-deal walks on stage part with a name in the program (Not just cast member number 2 or townsperson). Janet was my name and I was the wife of Scrooge’s nephew. I had two on stage parts, the first was when Scrooge is being drug by one of the Christmas ghost and they look upon Scrooge’s nephew’s house where we are hosting a Christmas party. My husband and I are playing a game where we have to guess what people are talking about, and my line was “tight like your Uncle Scrooge’s purse strings.” --- are you waiting for more, well there was none, that was it for that scene and I delivered that semi-line beautifully! My next scene was a bit trickier I had to walk arm and arm with my husband across the stage and get stopped by Scrooge himself (this scene is after he decides he has been a douche his whole life and he is telling us he would like to partake in dinner with us after all. My line: was “We’ll be glad to have you”. Ok, so my friend Nate (who played my husband) and I are arm and arm we start walking, Scrooge comes up,

Scrooge: (not exact ---that was over 10 years ago) Hey nephew I will be able to make it to your dinner party I will bring a boiled goose.

Nephew: (again not exact) that is greatJanet isn’t that great

Janet (That’s me) long pause ..Deep breath . Wait for it “We’ll be happy if you were there” or some crap like that!!!!

I totally choked, now I don’t think it was noticeable or at least no one called me out on it, but really you have two measly lines in a play and you are bating 1-1 on delivery-----SERIOUSLY!!!! I guess I won’t be giving any acceptance speeches for any Oscars anytime soon and that’s ok, I’d probably botch that up too

No comments:

Post a Comment