Thursday, August 25, 2011

Low Iron?

I am a giver. Anytime there is a blood drive at work I will give (it’s the little things) when I can. Last week there was a blood drive, around 2:00 pm I decided I should go considering I had a hankering for a snack cake (they give those for free—score) I head into the room where they are taking the blood, sign in and wait to be “checked” they prick your finger to make sure you iron levels are right for donating and they check your temperature and blood pressure. All was good except when the little guy pricked my ring finger he said my iron was low----not terribly “go out to the doctor to get meds low” but too low for to donate. He asked if he could try a different finger, apparently your blood iron level can change from finger to finger? Just like the other finger my iron was too low ---to give you need 38 or over I had a level of 37… I didn’t qualify to give. The Life share blood people aka the little guy massacring my fingers decided to get to the bottom of my iron issue:
Little guy: do you drink a lot of tea?
Me: nope, don’t really like tea.
Little guy: *whispered* are you on your cycle?
Me: what
Little guy: *a little louder* Are You on Your Cycle?
Me (thought) whoa sister… I don’t like to discuss what’s going on in the old vag. to just anyone… but I answered “nope, not on my cycle”
Little guy: well I don’t know, sorry you can’t donate---but get a cake and a coke before you leave.
Me: Thanks, sorry my blood sucks. *gets up to get Swiss roll cake and a coke*

So sad for the people who need blood, because I couldn’t give, but I did try---darn hard. On the bright side, Life Share blood center now knows my menstrual cycle and I still got a snack cake ----win win I say

1 comment:

  1. This is hilarious, the HOS and Taxi ones are great too. When will you write this all into a book? Hmmnn? Bacon

    ReplyDelete