Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The habanero Incident


about 5 years ago or so I worked at a local grocery store as a "Jill of all trades" but primarily I was a cashier, one night I was closing and the closing bag boy David came up with a bet. Now it is that time of night where there is absolutely no one in the store, so we were "goofing" around, he says:"I bet you you won't eat this pepper?"
Kara: what kind is is?
David: Habanero,it isn't hot
Kara: then why are you betting me
David: Because Mr. Black (our assistant manager) doesn't believe me
Kara: why don't you eat it
David: he won't believe me and he doesn't want to do it cause he is scared.
Kara: well let me see it
David: here it is *shows it to me* see it is small and orange, how hot can an orange pepper be?
Kara: yeah I guess you are right, what's in it for me?
David: I will give you all my tips from the night *pulls out wad of money* twenty bucks ...what do you have to lose.
Kara: Fine I could use the twenty bucks
David: *YELLING* Mr. Black she is going to eat it come see!!!
Mr Black comes over, he too had never really heard of this pepper so he was curious as to whether or not it was in fact "hot or not"
I bite the pepper in half.....

Nothing

David: you gotta eat it all that isn't enough for the money
Kara: fine *take another bite*


ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the pain is killing me, the fire is burning down my throat into my belly it is in my nose now and my eyes start to water. I begin yelling at David to give me the damn money I have to go buy some milk, I get a gallon and sit it at my register, I then it up the drink machine in the deli and grab a cup of ice which I use the cubes to stick up my nose to stop the burning. After about a good 45 minutes the burning quits and I'm able to breath easy.
I don't understand how people can eat such hot stuff, I'm Cajun and love my spicy Crawfish, crabs, and shrimp, but to sit there and eat a pepper for no good reason

PLEASE

I'm just glad I got paid!!!!

1 comment: