Monday, February 1, 2010

What is Nola?





There have been many trips to New Orleans in my life time, and hopefully many more to come, but this one time I was in New Orleans I had the biggest “duh” moment you would ask yourself “Does drinking too much alcohol in one day make you legally retarded?”
It was a Saturday morning and me, my boyfriend Jason, and my friend Forrest decided to go to Bourbon street and get a start to the day and the drinking. We start our trip at one little daiquiri shop that was selling them by the dozen so we get as many as our hands will hold and head to the little shops for some much needed shopping, then we continued on a wild goose chase to find the French Market. As we walk I start to notice different pieces of graffiti and drawing around, one said "Nola # 1". We head up one street, down another and finally see the French Market there are beautiful paintings and music, just like New Orleans should be. I see another picture that says "Nola Forever", but I think nothing of it, there are plenty of gangs and ruckus so no big deal. We start to head back to Bourbon and cut up a street too soon which puts us on the “other” side of the rainbow district as we walk up there are about a hundred gay men dancing in the street to some techno beat, we have to decide how to get around this mass of men. Jason and Forrest are not homophobic and I’ve been a fag hag, since Jesus was a boy, so we can definitely hold our own. As I am staring at this parking meter with more graffiti on it that said "Nola" I turn to find Jason grab Forrest’s hand and walk their happy asses through the herd of gay men.
“we are going to get grenades come on!”
Was all I heard so I skip my way through getting my share of
“hey girl!”
and you know the random gay sayings. We head to the grenade shop and I head to the bathroom--- please take note this is like my 5th or 6th drink so I’m feeling more than ok and I notice some more graffiti, this was the final straw! I march out to the guys who are sitting at the bar with our drinks and I say.
“I don’t know who the hell this Nola bitch is, but that name is cute I’m naming my first kid Nola.”
I take a sip and then say
“ that bitch is POPULAR!!!”
I look to Jason and Forrest and their jaws are dropped to the ground, Jason's next words ring in my ears to this very day --- I think I still have dreams of the next words to come out of his mouth.
“Nola don’t you mean New Orleans Louisiana are you that dumb!?!?!”
----my eyes had that glazed over look ---
First I chuckled then I said
“ OH! No shit!”
Took another sip.
There have been plenty of moments where I think, I need to think before I speak, but then I couldn't write about it and have you all laugh at my stupidity.

2 comments:

  1. Where did I go wrong? I blame myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my top ten favorite Kara stories right behind getting thrown out of Joe's Crab Shack. I think I peed myself hilst hearing that story.

    ReplyDelete